The Design Thinking process begins by defining a challenge. We challenge you to discover the potential you have!
Design thinking or Design Thinking tries to make the individual think like a designer so that he can transform the way of developing products, services, processes, as well as the company's strategy, or any present or future project that you are thinking of undertaking. Take problems as challenges to find a creative solution.
The bases of the Design Thinking methodology are based on the fact that learning only occurs when we move away from what is familiar to us and accept the uncertain as part of our reality. Challenges and brilliant ideas arise when we take risks and go out into unknown territories and, therefore, out of our comfort zone. When we break mental patterns, we apply creativity and take innovation based on our way of thinking and acting.
We will get you to challenge the standards of thought and behavior by generating new meanings and stimulating the cognitive, emotional and sensory aspects. You will learn a new methodology to enact the end of old ideas applied to new business models.
The course has been designed with an active methodology in which the dynamics and techniques that are developed will be the central axis of the change in your way of thinking.
The general objective of the course is to provide participants, in a simple and practical way, with a series of basic methods and techniques through the development of dynamics that allow them to acquire basic skills for creative problem solving; so that they change the mental patterns of thought for innovation in products, services or business models in the field of companies and businesses.
This general objective will be achieved by providing basic knowledge focused on the following specific objectives:
- Know the principles and fundamentals of Design Thinking.
- Teach the student to find solutions, design products, services, business models or undertake creatively focused on customer needs.
- Know and manage the different tools and techniques of Design Thinking.
- Instruct the student in the use of dynamics for the management of innovation.
- Enhance the student's professional knowledge through creativity.
At the end of the course the student will be able to:
- Identify the Design Thinking process.
- Use creative techniques in identifying problems, generating ideas; definition and prototyping of products, processes and business models that allow visualizing possible solutions
- Adopt the attitude of a Design Thinker to create value and strategically develop companies by applying the most modern management techniques.
- Facilitate Design Thinking processes in organizations.
- That students are able to integrate knowledge and face the complexity of formulating solutions based on information that, being incomplete or limited, includes reflections on the needs of customers and stakeholders.
- That students know how to communicate to specialized and non-specialized audiences in a clear and unambiguous way the conclusions and results of their investigations and interventions.
- Ability to analyze, search and discriminate information from various sources.
- Capacity for teamwork
- Knowledge of Design Thinking models.
- Knowledge and application of the IDEO model of Design Thinking.
- Application of the Dan Nessler model of Design Thinking
- Ability to accurately integrate and evaluate multiple sources of information and make interpretations that help innovation teams gain awareness and achieve agreed outcomes.
- Ability to manage an innovation process through Design Thinking and its responsibility.
- Know, understand and apply methods, techniques and tools of preliminary immersion of problems
- Know, understand and apply methods, techniques and tools of empathy.
- Know, understand and apply methods, techniques and tools to obtain insight and define problems.
- Know, understand and apply methods, techniques and tools for the generation of ideas.
- Know, understand and apply prototyping methods, techniques and tools
- Know, understand and apply testing methods, techniques and tools.
- Know how to apply and integrate the knowledge of agile methodologies with the aim of helping companies and organizations to work on the basis of agile values and continuous improvement.
- Identification of new paradigms of organizational and business behavior to successfully face the changing environment and the agile transformation of organizations.
The program of the Higher Course in Design Thinking is made up of the following modules and subjects.
Modules/Subject/Subject and academic manager
subjects / subjects
The Design Thinking Facilitation exercise and its Method
A1 Introduction to Design Thinking
1. Design Thinking: Basics
2. The dynamics and techniques as the basis of the method
3. Basic Principles of Design Thinking
4. Characteristics of people who use Design Thinking
5. Pull and Push Factors of Design Thinking
A2 Facilitation and the role of the facilitator
1. Principles of facilitation
2. The function and role of the facilitator
3. Elements for successful facilitation
4. Visual facilitation: Visual Thinking
A3 Creativity and innovation
1. Definition and conceptualization of creativity
2. Myths of creativity
3. The creative person
4. Negative circle of creativity
5. Dynamic exercises and workshops
6. Creativity vs. innovation
A4 Models for design thinking and its process
1. Phases and dominant logic of Design Thinking models
2. The IDEO Model
3. Nassler model
4. Evolved model of Design Thinking
Dynamics, techniques and tools for facilitating innovation processes through Design Thinking
B1 Tools of the preliminary phase and empathy
From Challenge to Goal: Statement of Intent
Map research participants
User research plan
Five human factors
Interviews with images
Simulation of experiences
B2 Tools of the definition phase
From observation to insight
Think in colors: Walt Disney Method
ERAF Systems Diagram
Insight clustering matrix
Map of the user experience in five phases
Customer Journey Map
Generation of design principles
B3: Ideation Phase Tools
Hybridization techniques and connections
Solution synthesis workshop
B4: Tools of the prototyping phase
prototype to think
prototype to empathize
Prototype to show
Role playing game
The elevator speech
Minimum viable product
B5: Testing phase tools
Failure mode and effects analysis
The teaching and teaching of the title will be developed through the virtual classroom of the Rey Juan Carlos University, for which this course will be enabled within said platform. The training activities will be grouped into:
- Theoretical Classes, which will be developed through masterful training by the course faculty, delivering the course book in which the contents addressed are collected and the dynamics and exercises that will complement these theoretical classes and that give way to practical classes are identified.
- Practical Classes, the practical classes are oriented to the development of dynamics and exercises for the understanding of the phases of the method. In these classes, the necessary material will be made available in the Practice Notebook called "Fiches, documents and Progress"
- Projects, Each participant will be part of a team of a maximum of 6 participants in the course who will have to tackle a challenge or project with the Design Thinking method and who will be the support for the evaluation of the course.
The evaluation of the course will be carried out through an evaluation test that will consist of the application of the method to the solution of the proposed challenge. For this, the participants must present a report with the design of a facilitation workshop according to what they learned in the Course and in which the application of the techniques and tools studied is collected.
For its evaluation, a double evaluation system will be used in which the faculty will qualify the presentation according to an evaluation rubric and, on the other hand, the participants will evaluate the projects based on the money invested through a financing round system. in the same on the allocated budget.
In order to access the degree, it will be necessary to be in possession of an official university degree of Bachelor, diploma or University Degree.
In the event that the number of applications exceeds the number of places offered, a selection will be made based on the following criteria:
- Previous experience in innovation, research or development departments (40%)
- Academic training in the field of Business Sciences or engineering (40%)
- Previous professional experience in agile methodologies (10%)
- Coach or Agile Coach exercise (10%)
No. of Places: The minimum number of places offered per promotion will be 12 and the maximum 60.
Academic Management and Faculty
Academic Director: Luisa Eugenia Reyes Recio, URJC, University Professor, Business Organization and Management, Business Economics.
- Isabel Soriano Pinar, URJC, Business Economics
- Miriam Sánchez Reig, URJC, Business Economics
- Rafael Martín Velázquez, Ferrovial Services, URJC, Business Economics
- Elena Fernández Gascueña, URJC, Business Economics
- Rocio Usero López visiting professor
Duration and development
Modality: Simultaneously face-to-face and remotely, at the student's choice. So that a single promotion is offered in which the two modalities are taught at the same time as a consequence of the digitization of the classrooms in the university.
Number of credits: 2
Place of delivery: URJC Virtual Classroom
Start and end date: Various promotions are planned throughout the academic year, according to the following beginnings and ends:
Expected start: October (2022) End: December (2023)
Expected start: January (2023) End: April (2023)
Expected start: May (2023) End: July (2023)
Reservation of place and enrollment
Pre-registration period: May 2, 2022 to September 16, 2022
Enrollment deadline: : September 19 to 27, 2022
Title price: 800 €
The start of the course is conditioned to the minimum number of students enrolled.
Documentation to attach, forms and place of delivery
the applicants they will present all the scanned documentation, in the formats allowed through the telematic self-registration application at the time of applying for admission to own degrees. They must compulsorily attach to their request the declaration of the person responsible for the veracity of the data provided in digital format.
At any time, both the Program Management and the Own Teaching Service may request the applicants to submit said certified/collated documentation through the General Registry, located on the Móstoles Campus, or in any of the registries assistants located in the different campuses of the Rey Juan Carlos University, or by sending it through Certified Mail to: Rey Juan Carlos University. General Registry. Avda. Tulipán s/n. 28933. Mostoles. Madrid
The student is responsible for the veracity and correctness of the data provided, exonerating the Rey Juan Carlos University from any responsibility and guaranteeing and being responsible for its accuracy, validity and authenticity.
Students with a degree obtained from a Spanish university or a Higher Education Institution belonging to another Member State of the European Higher Education Area that authorizes access to own postgraduate degrees must present the following documentation:
- National Identity Document or equivalent
- University degree of the studies that give access to the requested postgraduate degree.
- Curriculum vitae
- Responsible declaration of veracity of the data provided in digital format
- Any other document that the Director of the Own Title specifically requires for its acceptance
Students with a foreign degree must present the following documentation:
- Passport or Residence Card
- Foreign Higher Education Degree (Graduate, Graduate, Architect, Engineer Doctor...) that give access to own postgraduate degree studies.
- Certificate certifying that the studies carried out give access to an Official Postgraduate Degree in your country of origin, issued by the University of origin
- Curriculum vitae
- Declaration of the person responsible for the veracity of the data provided in digital format
- Any other document that the Director of the Own Title specifically requires for its acceptance
Applicants with studies completed in foreign University Centers may be requested at any time a certificate of verification of these studies and centers, issued by an authorized Institution.
All documentation provided must be legalized in accordance with Spanish law and translated by an official translator.