Responsible Center: postgraduate unit Location: Fuenlabrada Campus
Modality: Onsite Title code: 6214 Orientation: Research
Number of ECTS Credits: 60 ECTS Duration of the Master: an academic year
Price: See table
Academic Calendar Calendar Schedule Examinations Teaching Guides Faculty
Director of the Master: Prof. Dr. D. Enric Saperas Lapiedra Phone: 91 488 7309
University master's information: Phone: 91 665 5060 Inquiries Mailbox
Student attention: Student Help Box Suggestions and complaints box
What knowledge will I acquire with this Master?
The University Master's Degree in Research Applied to Communication is justified by the need for comprehensive training of academic researchers in communication that allows those who pass the master's degree to be in a position to undertake their doctoral theses with guarantees within the framework of the Doctoral Programs of the universities where they are held.
Is this degree official according to the regulations required by the European Higher Education Area?
Yes (final verification report is attached), starting the first course in the academic year 2010-11.
Final verification report turned out FAVORABLE
Favorable report first modification
Is it necessary to pass an access test?
It is not necessary.
What is the minimum number of credits for which I can enroll?
You can see it in the rules of permanence in this link
Recommended income profile
Students who have possession of an official Spanish university degree or another issued by a higher education institution of the European Higher Education Area that authorizes access to Master's degrees in the country that issued the degree.
Degree in journalism, Degree in audiovisual communication, Degree in advertising and public relations, Double degrees in communication sciences linked to another university degree (law, economics, LADE, etc.), Degree in journalism, Degree in audiovisual communication, Degree in advertising and public relations, Double degrees in communication sciences linked to another university degree (law, economics, LADE, etc.), Bachelor's degrees and degrees in social sciences.
- Comprehensive training in the theoretical frameworks that currently define the field of research applied to communication
- Learning of the design processes of research projects and the most common quantitative and qualitative research techniques and of greater incidence in current research and in the communication research market, with special emphasis on learning in the use and management of the main scientific software and focus group techniques
- Comprehensive training for doctoral candidates. Carrying out research work with special emphasis on the research work of doctoral programs, writing doctoral theses and defending before evaluation commissions
- Learning to write research papers: general projects, scientific articles, contributions to congresses and doctoral theses
- CG01 - Analyze the reality of social and communicational phenomena characteristic of contemporary societies.
- CG02 - Know the global social context in which communication research is developed, taking into account social, economic, legal and historical dynamics.
- CG03 - Make decisions and issue critical judgments in processes and situations related to communication research, applying the knowledge acquired to do so.
- CG04 - Manage information from various sources, using search techniques, identification, selection and collection of information.
- CG05 - Adapt to new situations, new or little-known environments within the context of communication research.
- CG06 - Face with a creative and proactive attitude the difficulties, limitations and obstacles that may arise in the research task.
- CG07 - Acquire a favorable disposition for permanent and up-to-date training to deal with changes and novelties (social, cultural, technological, etc.) that may occur in the course of professional life.
- CG08 - Use the technological tools available to complete the different activities of the research processes.
- CG09 - Use the necessary resources to implement strategies aimed at autonomous learning.
- CG10 - Organize and plan, in a preliminary stage, human teams and work processes in the field of communication research.
- CG11 - Acquire the ability to actively participate in work in large human teams, which involve the coupling of multiple visions and tasks from multidisciplinary perspectives.
- CG12 - Communicate with rigor in the use of the language and clarity in the exposition of ideas.
- CG13 - Demonstrate an ethical commitment respecting human rights and other democratic values in the exercise of communication research.
- CE01 - Know and use competently the terminology and key concepts used in communication research.
- CE02 - Knowledge of the epistemological foundations of the different communication research methods.
- CE03 - Work productively with ideas and theories, linking conceptual devices with the reality that they seek to explain or understand.
- CE04 - Acquire the ability to design and apply the pertinent techniques in quantitative empirical research specifically oriented to the study of contemporary communicative phenomena.
- CE05 - Acquire the ability to perform univariate, bivariate and multivariate statistical analyses.
- CE06 - Acquire the ability to design qualitative research specifically oriented to the study of communication through the use of conversational and observational techniques.
- CE07 - Acquire the ability to analyze and interpret qualitative data, and in particular for the sociological analysis of discourse.
- CE08 - Knowledge of the main research traditions developed in the field of communication research.
- CE09 - Ability to relate media communication processes to the social contexts in which they take place.
- CE10 - Advanced handling of computer programs for data analysis, both quantitative (SPSS) and qualitative (Atlas.ti and Nud*Ist)
- CE11 - Ability to solve case studies by applying advanced statistical analysis.
- CE12 - Management of specialized bibliographic and computerized databases for communication research
- CE13 - Ability to write specialized scientific documents (research projects, research reports, memorandums, etc.)
- CE14 - Knowledge of the historical evolution and current theoretical perspectives in research on audiences and the processes of reception and relationship with the media.
- CE15 - Knowledge of the historical evolution and current theoretical perspectives in research on public relations, institutional communication and communication management.
- CE16 - Knowledge of the historical evolution and current theoretical perspectives in research on political communication.
- CE17 - Knowledge of the historical evolution and current theoretical perspectives in research on scientific communication.
- CE18 - Knowledge of the historical evolution and current theoretical perspectives in research on educational communication.
- CE19 - Knowledge of the historical evolution and current theoretical perspectives in research on media and journalistic discourses.
- CE20 - Ability to carry out original research on communication with the quality standards required in academic journals and/or in congresses and scientific meetings of the specialty.
Admission and enrollment
The requirements for access to the proposed title are according to article 18, of Royal Decree 822/2021, of September 28:
- Possession of an official Spanish Graduate or Graduate university degree or equivalent is a condition for accessing a Master's Degree, or, where appropriate, having another University Master's degree, or titles of the same level as the Spanish Bachelor's or Master's degree issued by universities and higher education institutions in an EHEA country that in that country allow access to Master's degrees.
- In the same way, people in possession of titles from educational systems that are not part of the EHEA, which are equivalent to a Bachelor's degree, will be able to access a Master's Degree in the Spanish university system, without the need for homologation of the title, but verification by of the university of the level of training that they imply, as long as in the country where said title was issued it allows access to university postgraduate level studies. In no case will access through this route imply the homologation of the previous degree held by the person concerned or its recognition for other purposes than that of carrying out the Master's degree.
General access criteria:
The specific qualifications that will facilitate access to the Master are the following:
- Degree in Advertising and Public Relations
- Degree in Journalism
- Degree in Audiovisual Communication
- Degree in Business Administration and Management
- Degree in economics
- Degree in Sociology
- Degree in Anthropology
- Degree in Political Science
- Degrees in Philology
- Degree in Marketing and Market Studies
- Degree in Labor Relations and Human Resources
Other official degrees or titles that include communication, research techniques or sociology subjects in their study plan.
Specific access conditions or tests:
Where appropriate, if necessary, Assessment of the student's curriculum, based on their professional experience, their projection in relation to the objectives of the master's degree, as well as their academic record. The weighting of these criteria, if it were necessary to make a selection among the candidates who meet the general access requirements for exceeding the number of students who can be admitted to the Master, as indicated on the Master's website is as follows :
Adequacy of the original university degree (50%), Motivation letter (20%), Personal interview (via Skype) (20%) and Previous research experience (or research interests) (10%). In any case, the criteria of equality, merit and ability will be respected throughout the selection process. The competent body for admission is the postgraduate subcommittee of the Rey Juan Carlos University.
In the case of foreign students whose mother tongue is not Spanish, the vehicular language of the Master, a level certificate will be required on their knowledge of the Spanish language (level B.2. according to the Common European Framework of Reference) and they may establish specific access tests if the Master's management considers it appropriate.
The valuation of these elements will be made according to the following weighting:
- Adequacy of the university degree 60%
- Previous research experience 10%
- Motivation letter 15%
Personal interview 15%
Once the pre-registration period is over, a selection will be made among the students who meet all the requirements.
Offer of places: 20 seats. If the minimum number of students envisaged is not reached in a course, the University may choose not to open the teaching group.
Master's Teaching Guides
ACCESS THE COURSE GUIDES OF THE DEGREE
|Code||Subject||Semester||Type||NUMBER OF ECTS|
|621401||Theoretical-methodological paradigms in communicative research||1 º||Mandatory||6|
Quantitative research design and techniques
|621403||Qualitative research methodology and design||1 º||Mandatory||6|
|621404||Research and Report Writing Resources||1 º||Mandatory||3|
|621405||Computer tools for data analysis||1 º||Mandatory||3|
|621406||Hearings and reception||1 º||Optional||3|
|621407||Public relations and communication management||1 º||Optional||3|
|621408||Political communication *||1 º||Optional||3|
|621409||Scientific communication *||1 º||Optional||3|
|621410||Communication and education *||1 º||Optional||3|
|621411||journalistic speech *||1 º||Optional||3|
|621412||Quantitative research techniques||2 º||Mandatory||3|
|621413||Qualitative data analysis||2 º||Mandatory||3|
|621414||Master's thesis||2 º||TFM||24|
*not offered for the 2019/2020 academic year
University Master's degrees, due to their duration and characteristics, in general do not specifically contemplate the mobility of their students. However, the Rey Juan Carlos University has different mobility programs for both students and University workers (PDI and PAS) and has procedures for collecting and analyzing information on these mobility programs.
- Academic calendar
- Regulations for enrollment and permanence in university master's degrees at the URJC
- academic waiver
- Refund of Public Prices
- Public prices for university master's degrees
- External Internships
- University Master's Thesis
- Review and Complaint of the Continuous Evaluation in the studies of university master's degrees of the URJC
- Acknowledgments / Adaptations of university master's degrees
- Simultaneity of URJC university master's degree studies
- Regulations of the School of Official Masters
- Addendum to the protocol for adapting teaching at the School of Official Master's Degrees
- Royal Decree 1125/2003, of September 5, which establishes the European credit system and the grading system in official university degrees valid throughout the national territory
- Students with Functional Diversity
- Visiting Students
- Scholarships from the Ministry of Education:
CALL FOR SCHOLARSHIPS FROM THE MINISTRY OF EDUCATION COURSE 2022/2023
El scholarship application deadline expands until the 16 of May of 2022. The student must apply for the scholarship even without being enrolled in the next course and even without knowing how many subjects he is going to pass in the current course.
RESOLUTION OF THE SECRETARIAT OF STATE FOR EDUCATION, CALLING FOR GENERAL SCHOLARSHIPS FOR THE 2022-2023 ACADEMIC YEAR FOR STUDENTS GOING FOR POST COMPULSORY STUDIES SECTION 2. OFFICIAL MASTER'S DEGREES
CHAPTER V. Academic requirements. Article 28. Number of enrollment credits.
7. Students who enroll in the first year of a Master's Degree without having obtained a Bachelor's degree, as established in article 18.4 of Royal Decree 822/2021, of September 28, which establishes the organization of university education and the quality assurance procedure, may obtain a scholarship, provided they prove to be in possession of the aforementioned Bachelor's degree as of December 31, 2022.
Why is the application deadline advanced?
This way you will know if you meet the economic requirements or not before seeing what you are going to study.
For which studies can you apply for a scholarship?
You can apply for a scholarship if you think you are going to enroll in the 2022-2023 academic year at any of the following levels:
- university education for bachelor's and master's degrees.
Not included in this call for scholarships:
- Third cycle studies or doctorate
- Specialization studies
- University titles.
Indefinite subjects at the URJC (TFG, TFM, RAC, Modern Language and External Practices)
In the event that a student has enrolled in the subject of indefinite duration in an academic year and has not been examined, he or she must renew enrollment for successive courses, paying only the secretarial fees and school insurance, if applicable. The student who fails must re-enroll the subject as a second enrollment (third or fourth).
How do Indefinite Subjects affect the Ministry Scholarship?
Students taking indefinite courses (TFG, TFM, RAC, Modern Language and External Practices) They should know that, if you have not applied or they have not graded it in the current course and even if you do not have to pay the registration fee for said subject again in the following course, those credits would count as not passed for the ministry's scholarships.
Example: in the case of Modern Language, the student who has registered for the subject and who has some specific particularity (for example, who is an applicant for the MEC Scholarship) will have to take into account the requirements of said particularity when applying. decide when to enroll in a course of the subject (for example, if the MEC scholarship asks for a % of credits passed over the credits enrolled and the student enrolls but does not enroll in a group, the credits will appear for scholarship purposes as credits enrolled , but not yet passed in that academic year and this may harm you when obtaining said scholarship).
Cancellation, extension or modification of registration for scholarship applicants at the URJC
Those students who have applied for a scholarship must take into account that they can only request cancellation and/or change of subjects, which implies a reduction in credits, within the first set deadline. In the second term they will not be able to request a reduction in the number of credits initially registered.
Change of subjects: All those students who have applied for a Scholarship from the Ministry of Education must bear in mind that, in the second period of modification, they can only request the change between subjects with the same or higher number of credits, in no case lower.
Cancellation of subjects: Those who wish to request the cancellation of subjects already enrolled must check said subjects. All those students who have applied for a Scholarship from the Ministry of Education must take into account that, in the second modification period, it is not possible to apply the cancellation of subjects.
Extension of subjects: The student who wishes to request the extension of subjects in his registration must check said subjects. All those who have applied for a Scholarship from the Ministry of Education must take into account that, in the second modification period, it is possible to apply the extension of subjects.
Important information: Enrollment increase and reduction for students with a scholarship from the Ministry of Education
It will be considered that the student has only full registration when you are enrolled in all the credits corresponding to the course of your training itinerary. In this case, you will be eligible for all the aid from the Ministry of Education Scholarship. On the contrary, if the established number of credits is not reached, they will only opt for the amounts of Registration y Minimum Variable, when considered partial enrollment.
“.The beneficiaries of said scholarships must, in addition, exceed at least 50 percent of the credits or subjects in which they have enrolled, with the exception of scholarship holders of university education of the branches of Sciences and Technical Education that must pass, at least, 40 percent of them. Failure to comply with this last obligation will entail the reimbursement of all the components of the scholarship with the exception of the tuition scholarship”
For students applying for Ministry of Education Scholarshipwill not be taken into account For the purposes of fulfilling the academic requirements, the subjects or credits validated or adapted.
How much money can you receive for your scholarship
The scholarship is the sum of different components. To calculate how much corresponds to you, you must bear in mind that the scholarship consists of a fixed amount of money (fixed amounts) and a variable amount of money (variable amount).
It is called a fixed amount because, unlike the variable amount, it is a fixed amount established each year in the call. If you meet all the requirements (general, economic and academic), you can get the sum of all the amounts that we explain below:
AMOUNT IN EUROS
It will include the amount of the credits for which you enroll for the first time
For family income
For change of residence during the school year
for academic excellence
50 € - 125 €
Take into account the following remarks:
- The price per credit will be the official price set in the 2022/2023 academic year. for academic services depending on the different degrees and universities.
- The scholarship does not cover second or subsequent registrations: only the price of the credits in which you enroll for the first time.
- It only covers the minimum required credits to obtain the degree.
- If you study or are going to study in a center attached to the URJC, the scholarship covers only the public price set by the Decree on Public Prices of the Community of Madrid.
Once we have assigned the fixed amount scholarships to all the people who have requested it and who meet the requirements, we distribute the amount that is left over from the total budget. We do this by means of a mathematical distribution formula that weights, that is, measures, the average grade of your file and your per capita family income.
In any case, the variable amount will be the minimum (60 €) if you enroll for a number of credits between 30 and 59 (partial enrollment) or if you take a double degree, in half of the credits that correspond to the full enrollment
Access to the call and application to apply for a scholarship
Claims: If you have been required to present documentation, you can do so in person through General Instance , addressed to the URJC Scholarship Service, in the General Registry, Auxiliary Registries or in the places and forms indicated in art. 16.4 of Law 39/2015 of Common Administrative Procedure, or electronically, through the Electronic Registry of the Electronic Office of the URJC
Attention to the applicant: Student help box
Llaza Quality guarantee
Internal quality assurance system
Composition of the commission
Once the monitoring of the Master's Degree has been carried out, the most relevant quantitative information on the results obtained in the monitoring of said Degree is displayed, differentiated by academic year.
Report by course:
General information collection plan
Within the quality assurance system of the Rey Juan Carlos University, the following surveys are planned:
- Student profile
- Teacher evaluation
- Degree of satisfaction:
- Of the students
- of the graduates
- From the Faculty
- Administration and Services Staff
- Labor insertion
- External internships:
- Satisfaction of interns
- External tutor satisfaction
- Employer satisfaction
The Quality Assurance System of the Rey Juan Carlos University establishes that the degree's Quality Assurance Commission will annually analyze the information derived from the degree's indicators and prepare a report that will include improvement plans if the results so indicate.
- Improvement actions 2021 / 2022
- Improvement actions 2020 / 2021
- Improvement actions 2019 / 2020
- Improvement actions 2018 / 2019
- Improvement actions 2017 / 2018
- Improvement actions 2016 / 2017
- Improvement actions 2015 / 2016
- Improvement actions 2014 / 2015
- Improvement actions 2013 / 2014
- Improvement actions 2012 / 2013
- Improvement actions 2011 / 2012
- Improvement actions 2010 / 2011
Renewal of accreditation
The renewal of the accreditation represents the culmination of the implementation process of the official Bachelor's and Master's degrees registered in the Register of Universities, Centers and Degrees (RUCT). The renewal of the accreditation of official bachelor's and master's degrees is organized in three phases: self-assessment report, external visit and final assessment.
In the first phase, the university describes and assesses the status of the degree with respect to the established criteria and guidelines. The result is the Self-Assessment Report (IA) that is presented. The second and third phases are carried out by a group of evaluators external to the evaluated title.”